Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Minneapolis (JFCS) began in 1910. Then known as the Associated Jewish Charities of Minneapolis, the agency assisted the rising tide of Eastern European Jewish émigrés resettling in the Minneapolis area. Through the efforts of the Board of Directors and other volunteers, pioneering new Americans received financial and employment assistance, along with medical care. In 1914, the agency hired its first staff member to provide professional services to families.
In 1918 JFCS became a charter member of the United Way, then known as the “Town Tea Kettle” and later, the “Community Chest.” Ten years later, JFCS became a charter member of the newly formed Minneapolis Federation for Jewish Service – now known as the Minneapolis Jewish Federation. Today these two funding bodies continue to provide significant support for JFCS services and programs.
JFCS has expanded its staff from one to more than 120 people. What was once a handful of volunteers now numbers more than 700, and today JFCS provides a full spectrum of programs to address the crucial needs of more than 13,000 people who come to us every year.